Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"Anything With A Blade..."

When we arrived at last month’s blacksmith meeting, the forge looked a wee bit different.  I’d never seen a pot set on it before!  We were going to see something new this time.

The challenge issued last month for the “make and take” was ‘anything with a blade’.  There were some very interesting pieces.


This one is made out of a piece of wire cable. 


Isn’t the blade wild??  The maker said it is basically a show piece as the cheap metal in the wire doesn’t hold an edge.  Even so, I still think it’s great.


This “old man” knife made me smile. 


A multipurpose tool!  LOL


Quite a practical looking piece.  You could cut some serious steaks with that.


A twisted handle (not made of cable).


This hacksaw is incredible.  And it does have a blade! 


These utensils are period piece reproductions that were done by the guest demonstrator. 


He showed how to set a blade into a handle.


He had everyone’s full attention.


By now, the pot’s contents were boiling.


It was babbitt … a metal alloy for casting.  I think he said this one was tin and lead.


The molten babbitt was poured into a collar around the blade and handle.


Once it set up, that blade was there to stay!  He used the hacksaw to trim the excess and with a bit of filing it was smooth.  Unfortunately my recently charged camera battery tanked out on me, so I didn’t get a photo of the finished knife.  L

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! WOW! I wish I wasn't working so much, I could go back to taking these exciting day excursions with you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.