Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Woman's Work

By chance I have a small collection from places Himself or I have visited.  Actually it is a two-part collections but I’m only going to show half of it this time – the ladies!  It is figures that represent the daily work of the different cultures in the area we are visiting.


I have my pieces on a shelf in my living room.  Right now they are kind of just sitting there, as I haven’t had an inspiration on how to arrange them.  If anyone has an idea, I’d love to hear it!


It all started with these two ladies.  Himself brought them back from one of his military trips to Ethiopia. 

The lady on the left is cooking injera – the staple ‘bread’ of the country.  It’s made with a fermented batter made from teff flour.  It’s then pour on a clay disk and covered where it bakes and steams into a soft, spongy, delicious crepe-like bread.
The lady on the right is performing a ritual of hospitality… the coffee ceremony.  To have this done for you by the lady of the house is quite an honor.  The whole process takes several hours as she starts with roasting the green coffee beans over a small fire. 


My seamstress is from Haiti… brought back after another one of Himself’s military trips.  Sewing is a common profession in Haiti and is especially common around the UN camps. 


At Fourteen Falls, Kenya we met a sculptor who made simple clay figures of the daily life of his people group.  He told us this particular piece was of his mother, who was a potter.


I picked this up in Canada.  It is a First Nation girl who is taking care of one of the family’s sled dogs.


This piece is from Alaska.  It is a Native American etching/scrimshaw on fossilized ivory.  (This type of ivory is legal to purchase.) 

I wonder where my next lady will come from and what will be her work?





1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a fabulous collection. All of your sculptures are stunning and tell such a lovely story of the country and culture they are from. The are so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them and joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.