Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Ode to the Waffle Iron

Who would have thought there would be an official 'waffle iron day'?  Somehow it came to be and today is the day.

And in loving tribute to our waffle iron, I give you this blog!


This well used waffle iron was given to us by my grandmother.  I'm not sure where she got it from.  My mom says that they didn't have waffles as a breakfast food but instead for dinner as Chicken ala King Waffles.  

I'll take a pass on that one...

What good is a waffle iron without making the waffles?


When we received the iron, we headed to my trusty 'Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book' that I received as a wedding gift.  Yep...almost 32 years old and it is still my go-to recipe book.


Waffles!


Later on my aunt sent us my grandmother's waffle recipe.  Shhhhhhh... we like the BHG one better!

The back of the recipe card reads:  ...beaten egg whites.  Preheat iron and bake 3 - 4 minutes.  Makes 6.


Here is my one contribution to the preparation... separating the eggs.


Himself fools with the rest of the recipe.


Our blender is a wee bit loud...


There go my egg whites!


Fill the grids...


... but not too much!

Then you wait.


Time to eat!  

Some farm tapped maple syrup, blackberries, and a pat of butter.

Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.