Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Petroglyphs of Missouri

On a recent trip to Missouri Himself and I made a little road trip to see the petroglyphs at Washington State Park.  Situated along the Big River, it was one of my favorite places in my childhood.

It's most incredible feature is one most people don't realize.


You don't have to go to the US Southwest to see Native American rock carvings.







They are protected by this canopy.  However they are not as clear as they were 40 years ago.  (Goodness!  Has it really been that long ago?)

Each grouping has an excellent interpretive sign, so I will let those tell the story...














One feature I've always found interesting has nothing said about it.  It is this channel/groove cut into the stone before you reach the petroglyph site.  It is definitely not natural.  I've seen a similar groove at an ancient site in Minnesota.  

The petroglyphs are well worth a visit if you find yourself in mid-Eastern Missouri.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.