Pages

Friday, January 27, 2017

Pumpkin Pie Spice Cauliflower Casserole

One of the things I'm doing this year is cooking a lot more new recipes.  I'm specifically going to do one recipe from each magazine I get that does recipes (provided I find one I actually like).

In a back issue of Rachel Raye (a magazine I did not order but was a bait-and-switch slam from the publisher.  And I am not getting it anymore.) I found a recipe called "Pumpkin Spice Cauliflower Casserole".  



Pumpkin Pie Spice Cauliflower Casserole

1 head (2 pounds) cauliflower, cut into florets
3 T butter
3 T flour
1.5 C whole milk
1.5 C grated white cheddar (I used Colby Jack because it's what I had)
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice (I used 3/4 t. and will go up to 1 t next time)**
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (I used Panko.  No measurements...just covered the top)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 425*F.

In a large pot of water, cook the cauliflower until barely tender, about 5 mins.  Drain.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the flour and cook, stirring often, until the mixture is light golden, about 1 to 2 minutes.  While stirring constantly, add the milk, cheese, and pumpkin spice.*  Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a medium (2 qt) baking dish.  In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan *; sprinkle over the cauliflower.

Bake until the casserole is golden brown and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.


* Upon the direction to "add...cheese..." I added both the grated Cheddar (Colby Jack) AND the Parmesan.  At the bottom of the recipe I realized that it should have specified which cheese.  Whatever.  It was great mixed together.  However the panko was a bit dry because of this change.  Next time I'll still mix the cheeses and will add to the panko melted butter so it browns up nice. 

**Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice: 
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves. Mix the spices together in a small.



This recipe is an absolute winner.  Himself said he could have eaten the entire pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.