Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2017

April Food In Jars Challenge: Quick Pickles

The Food In Jars challenge for April was to make a "quick" pickle (AKA refrigerator pickle).

Hmmm.  There are no pickling cucumbers to be found around here this time of the year.  So what other veggies could I pickle?  Carrots?  Nope, already have a jar of them in the fridge.  Cauliflower?  Not at $5.79 a head...for a little head!   Asparagus?  It is just coming into season, so not yet.

Then I found the recipe...


Pickled cherry tomatoes!

Easy to get.  Inexpensive.  And you want them firm so they don't mush up on you.

I found the recipe at:

We have done a bit of early tasting and they are getting better as they mellow.  The 24 hour test was a bit puckery...

I wasn't done playing though and I found an even easier quick pickle recipe...


Pickled eggs!


We went a bit fancy with the first batch ~ turmeric pickled eggs.  Then more simple for the second batch ~ dilly pickled eggs.


Aren't they pretty?

You have to let them soak for at least 3 days, which we impatiently did.  And we had another winner!  Two actually...


Turmeric Pickled Eggs

For 8 eggs in a quart jar I used this spice mix that I made up:
1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 t turmeric
1 t peppercorns
1 t salt
pinch red pepper flakes
1 t juniper berries
2 t coriander seeds
2 bay leaf


Dilly of a Pickled Egg

For a pint jar I used these spices (I had extra brine for this one):

1 1/2 cup ACV
1/2 cup water
1 t peppercorns
pinch red pepper flakes
3 t dill seed

1 bay leaf


Success all the way around!  I'll be revisiting quick pickling when produce comes into season.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Therefore spam, snarks, and any other garbage will not be displayed. And I'm NOT buying anything.